Last Chance Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last Chance Gamers

This is a forum for a group of people wanting to find a home in a MMORPG, and actually play it with others!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Trying other games...

Go down 
+3
Eeldarb
Deomitrius
GrubbsGrady
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GrubbsGrady
Admin
GrubbsGrady

Trying other games... Empty
PostSubject: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Before we commit to a single game, some of us have talked and decided to give a few other trials a chance. After finishing the free trial in Vanguard, we feel that it might not be a game we want to buy and start playing- because it may not be something we like for very long.

We decided to give the Everquest 2 trial a chance, and will post information here for server and role-call again.
Back to top Go down
https://lastchance.forum-nation.com
Deomitrius

Deomitrius

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:45 pm

A couple other ideas:
Asheron's Call - This was my first, and still the best i've played. been thinking about going back lately.

Runes of Magic - F2P is definitely a bonus, it may be a bit formulaic but i liked it better than WoW and all of its clones.
Back to top Go down
Eeldarb

Eeldarb

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Runes of magic is a pretty fun game. The crafting system is a pick up and play one. Meaning its reallllllly easy to get a hang of. Along with being able to choose a second class at level 10! Imagine, being a two-hand-sword wielding, plate wearing mage? I think so...! Also you get your own little house, a lot like FFXI, but with a little maid rather than a moogle.
Back to top Go down
Deomitrius

Deomitrius

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Eeldarb wrote:
Runes of magic is a pretty fun game. The crafting system is a pick up and play one. Meaning its reallllllly easy to get a hang of. Along with being able to choose a second class at level 10! Imagine, being a two-hand-sword wielding, plate wearing mage? I think so...! Also you get your own little house, a lot like FFXI, but with a little maid rather than a moogle.

Each class has 3 sets of skills:
General - can be used anytime, even when the class is your secondary

Class only - can only be used when the class is your primary

Elite - different for each class combo. A rogue/knight has one set, a knight/rogue has a different set, etc. for each combo.

Unfortunately the plate armor skill is class only, so you cant be mage primary and wear plate. Sad

If you wanna closer at all the stuff go herehttp://www.theromwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
Back to top Go down
drantik

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:12 pm

I played RoM pretty extensively on Grimdal server from Open Beta until the elf xpac was released. It was a pretty fun game, but PvP and end-game is completely dependent upon the cash shop. People say you can get the same results with like months of grinding, but I don't think it's typical. I had some success selling people's PK gear for diamonds (cash-shop currency), but that changed as people got wise and starting sealing their important items. Last I heard they were in a world of hurt anyway, although I'm not sure why.

-Drantik (or Dresil on Vanguard just a minute ago)

PS - You can technically be a Warrior/Mage. A W/M combo has a channeled, high burst spell that flings swords at you. You would have all the warrior primary skills, with the ability to wear mail. Normally though you'd wield a staff for the higher magic damage.
Back to top Go down
Eeldarb

Eeldarb

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:13 pm

Damn you to hell! I was just sitting back daydreaming of a (Wow) Paladin/Walock mix.....BUBBLECOIL! lol.
Back to top Go down
drantik

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Well, there is something to be said about that. Mages that heal. Knights that silence. Warriors throwing fireballs.

But honestly, PvP is broken. It's insanely fun if you gear yourself right and choose the right class, however. But last I played R/M (Rogue/Mage) obliterated most other classes, other than a well geared knight. Mage/Priest were typically a close second, albeit they are one-shot fodder for a rogue... but a M/P can one shot kill pretty much anyone unlucky enough to be caught in their stun.
Back to top Go down
GrubbsGrady
Admin
GrubbsGrady

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:24 pm

I tried RoM a while ago, I think I am just not one for a F2P/Cash shop style game...plus it felt just like WoW and I have played that game to death enough to drain the life from its children for 20 generations to come Smile
Back to top Go down
Deomitrius

Deomitrius

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Anyone besides me tried Asheron's Call? id like to hear some other opinions on that as well.
Back to top Go down
drantik

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Never tried AC, could be fun?

Do they even have a community anymore? =)
Back to top Go down
Eeldarb

Eeldarb

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:33 pm

I suggest;

~Fallen Earth
~Warhammer online (Ive heard the servers have picked up alot)
~LOTRO (Never played it, but I always here good things)
~Runescape (I love this game... I dont play it, but I love it)
~Global Agenda
Back to top Go down
drantik

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Never tried FE.
Warhammer was cool when I played at OB, but seems like you want a large player base for a game like this.
LoTRO is fun, but its pvp is lacking and feels somewhat boring at times.
Never tried runescape... my browsers are for webpages only!
Back to top Go down
Vernis

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:37 pm

i tried Warhammer Online before, its quite interesting in my opinion and kinda fun to play.
Lotro... ive had enough of tolkien no more!
Anyway lets Try EQ2 first or WAR thats my opinion.

About RoM... i dont like Cashshop games.
Back to top Go down
Deomitrius

Deomitrius

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:39 pm

I have the Global Agenda trial installed right now. Kinda feels like Planetside meets tribes, except you have to make a diff char for each job/class. Id rather have tribes lol
Back to top Go down
GrubbsGrady
Admin
GrubbsGrady

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 pm

I'd like to try EQ2, some people already started the rather large DL for the trial and think it would be a fun place to play with some people, if it ends up being no good can always move down the list.
Back to top Go down
annihalus

annihalus

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 1:16 am

i'm remian on vanguard and mark on the google groups..

my two cents are as follows ( i've tried and subbed to most triple a mmo's and quite a few of the free ones)

fallen earth - awesome at first, but after awhile the crafting becomes nothing more than mindless mat farming. higher levels are relatively boring right now too. mainly you just do a ton of grinding, and nearly all characters end up the same , with only minor changes as everyone has the same stats and skills and a ton of points to put in them..

lotro - awesome game, incredibly pretty, and really fun. imo, its like an single player rpg that you can play with friends, as the story line really is quite involved. not many character classes though, and the crafting is really boring Sad

global agenda - i think its really boring right now, i've tried the free trial and it didnt really seem 'mmo'. your groups can only have 4 people, and it seems to me like all you do is grind the same 5-6 maps over and over to get slightly different weapons and abilities.. team fortress 2/cod4/bad company 2 all do the same thing much better, imo.

runes of magic- tried it, seemed like a wow rip off :/ allods online is also free and does a better job ripping wow off, imo..

eq2- great pve!! and so much content!!! its crazy how much stuff there is to do in that game. i reached mid 30's and had a blast, problem is that the most of the low lvl characters are simply people who have higher characters and are just playing around when they're not raiding. i quit after two months cuz it just got lonely :/ but otherwise, loved it.. zoning sucks though. classes are really cool! about as many as vanguard

eve- boringness to the max. when i played it i spent most of my time surfing the web and just alttabbing every few minutes to make sure i wasnt being attacked

ac- havent played the orginal, but the 2nd one was a bit interesting. same problem as eq2 though, kinda dead..

warhammer online - amazing game, if you love pvp. its pretty damn pvp-centric... but the pvp is incredibly fun. also, the endless free trial has brought in a bunch of new players..

a few games yal didnt mention are the original eq, dungeons and dragons online, allods online, the spellborne chronicles, and ffxi.. i've played all of those as well (i have no life besides university atm..)

anyway , if you have questions ask and i'll do my best to answer them.. i'm enjoying vanguard though, dunno if you guys are. if you dont like it, i'm not sure if you'll enjoy eq2, its very similar.

well, thats my two cents :p

oh and most of the older games ( mainly eq2 ) have made it so the lower levels can blast through to the higher ones. eq was crazy about this, you gain xp incredibly fast. plus, eq2 has AA trees and a bunch of other ways to customize your characters. its pretty indepth.
Back to top Go down
Eeldarb

Eeldarb

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 7:08 am

May aswell chuck in my opinions aswell.

WAR (Warhammer online) : Looks like the sort of game I could love. Xp from killing players? Open world PvP again the other faction? Plenty of character and classes? From what I have read, this game failed in End game content. But from what I read last night, they are updating ALOT and solving allot of BUG issues and adding more content. Other reason why I'm drawn to this game is "Mythic". In my opinion DaOC was THE best pvp game I have ever played. I also loved the fact that once you got max level, you could make an instant level 20 on another server. And as always that had an open pvp server <3

LoTrO (Lord of the rings online) : gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay..... and gay. I'm sorry to offend anybody here, but the idea of a pure PvE game and (From what I have read) alot of RPing going on is terrible.
Now if they added say another faction? so you could roll Orcs, trolls ect... and they offer word pvp objectives. Then I would play Smile

Imo, WAR would be a good next step for us. As I can really see that grouping together for world and scenario pvp will be fun. Seeing as when playing Vanguard I seen a nice mix of players who liked playing a nice mix of classes. (tank, Healer, Melee, Caster)
Back to top Go down
drantik

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 7:47 am

Eeldarb wrote:
May aswell chuck in my opinions aswell.

WAR (Warhammer online) : Looks like the sort of game I could love. Xp from killing players? Open world PvP again the other faction? Plenty of character and classes? From what I have read, this game failed in End game content. But from what I read last night, they are updating ALOT and solving allot of BUG issues and adding more content. Other reason why I'm drawn to this game is "Mythic". In my opinion DaOC was THE best pvp game I have ever played. I also loved the fact that once you got max level, you could make an instant level 20 on another server. And as always that had an open pvp server <3

LoTrO (Lord of the rings online) : gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay..... and gay. I'm sorry to offend anybody here, but the idea of a pure PvE game and (From what I have read) alot of RPing going on is terrible.
Now if they added say another faction? so you could roll Orcs, trolls ect... and they offer word pvp objectives. Then I would play Smile

Imo, WAR would be a good next step for us. As I can really see that grouping together for world and scenario pvp will be fun. Seeing as when playing Vanguard I seen a nice mix of players who liked playing a nice mix of classes. (tank, Healer, Melee, Caster)

You've not read enough on LoTRO. Once a character is past level 10, you unlock "monster play," allowing you to create a max level monster. You advance your monster in various ways, but its primary objective is to whoop ass on the heroes of middle earth. People come to pvp zones to kill you! It's not a great pvp system, but its kind of entertaining.

WAR's biggest issue was it's shallow PvE. Everyone says they want pure PvP games, and it sounds like a great idea, until you get on there and say, "Damn, this game feels small and linear. Where are all the other monsters to kill?" Back in open beta all anyone did was scenarios (battle grounds). You ran them over and over again to level. No one ever did the keep sieges, and if you finally got a group together to go take a keep, there was no one there to stop you.
Back to top Go down
Crispin

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:41 am

Its old, the iu is if possible worse than vanguard, the controls are old and awkward, but I'd like to suggest Istaria(Horizons).
Back to top Go down
drantik

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:09 am

I always enjoy trying those older games. I've never heard of this one but wouldn't mind checking it out myself!
Back to top Go down
annihalus

annihalus

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 12:49 pm

WAR is a lot of fun if you like the pvp. The dungeons really stood out to me, as they're open pvp, and you actually fight other players while doing your pve boss killing stuff. The battlegrounds and castle sieges and scenarios are all a lot of fun too, you can have a lot of people fighting and it feels like you're part of this massive army
Back to top Go down
Vernis

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 pm

thats exactly what i like most about WAR, even PVE players have fun at PVP while playing WAR...
Back to top Go down
saddened

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Well good luck guys but it seems that what you got going on here is definitely not what I have been looking for in finding people to group with.
Back to top Go down
annihalus

annihalus

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 10:31 am

saddened wrote:
Well good luck guys but it seems that what you got going on here is definitely not what I have been looking for in finding people to group with.

thats like the third guy to post one time saying they're not interested. wtf Suspect
Back to top Go down
drantik

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 am

I was in this boat as well. I was all for trying this, but then I realized this was an entirely different community than what I thought. You guys would have appealed to my gaming style 5 years ago, when I cared about power gaming and competition. I was just trying to find a group of mellow players to hang out with, but even when we tried vanguard I asked a couple guys from this group for some pointers on quests and they treated me like I was an idiot. I'm 25, and only a couple years older than a lot of the posters I saw here, but I felt like I was trying to hang out with high schoolers. They were jumping from game to game in a matter of hours, chalking it up to a "fail" game. They weren't happy if there wasn't an abundance of pvp (and as I've said before, I had 100k~ hks on wow too at one time, and my roots on MMOs started on EQ1 RZ server, so I'm not adverse to pvp).

I guess I thought this community could exist on any medium, as long as they played together. I soon found that they were just out to "conquer" another game, and competition.

-Drantik
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trying other games...   Trying other games... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trying other games...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Last Chance Gamers :: Group Info-
Jump to: